he decades that bracketed the turn of the twentieth century were
the golden era of the genius-tinkerer. Heinrich Mller, founder and
guiding personality behind Schuco, was very much a child of this
In November of 1912, well grounded in the basics of toy manufacture
and confident in his own abilities, Mller and a partner founded the
company that would grow to become Schuco.
By the late '20s Schuco toys were recognized throughout the
industry as both well designed and well built. One writer has
described Schuco toys as always assuring an "Aha!" effect. When the
first cars were introduced in the mid '30s they were both
technically revolutionary as well as artfully detailed. By 1939
Schuco had revolutionized the toy industry.
In 1949 Schuco returned to toy manufacture full time. In many ways
the 1950's were the golden age for Mller and Schuco. He expanded
facilities, reintroduced pre-war favorites and re-dedicated the
company to marketing a new model each year. Now in his 60's, Mller
was at the peak of his powers.
In 1951 the first Schuco Micro-Racer was introduced, and from the
first model the line was an unqualified success! The die-cast
replicas were well built, beautifully designed and detailed and,
most of all, exceptionally fast.
When Heinrich Mller died in June of 1958 he was the much honored
pater familias of the international toy industry, and holder of
more than a thousand patents. But by March of 1977, his absence was
felt, and his company was no more.
A small group of Schuco enthusiasts rallied around the embers of
Mller's empire, determined to keep the flame alive.
In 1980 the Georg Adam Mangold (GAMA) Co. of Frth (near Nuremburg)
- a former competitor of Schuco - stepped forward to buy scattered
assets and the Schuco name (and some of the Schuco tooling). GAMA
shortly began to fabricate tinplate cars under the Schuco
Meanwhile, Werner Nutz, a former Schuco tool and die maker,
obtained as part of his severance from the failed company the
original tooling and some parts to build the Micro-Racer series as
well as Schuco's Micro-Jets.
It was in 1988 that a group of American entrepreneurs - a group
that not only remembered Schuco, but who were dedicated to the
spirit of the age of Schuco - founded a company that would become
Lilliput. In that same year, tool maker Werner Nutz died, his dream
of restoring Schuco to its previous lofty heights unfulfilled.
The Lilliput group purchased from Nutz' widow his remaining stock
of Micro-Racers, a warehouse of replica parts, and the rights - and
tooling - to begin once again the manufacture of the Schuco
Micro-Racer line. As part of their dedication to this idea,
Lilliput Motor Company became America's first exclusive Schuco
In the years they have been in business, The Lilliput Motor Company
name has become to Schuco enthusiasts an assurance of quality and
satisfaction. Using much of the original tooling - many designed by
the hand of Heinrich Mller - and planning to innovate along the
lines of the Master, Lilliput Motor Company is now building an
extensive line of Schuco MicroRacers and other products in it's
factory in Kony, Hungary.
The wonderful, enthusiastic family of Mssr. Istvan Skultety and his
sons, are very much our partners in building Micro-Racers in the
original Schuco tradition of excellence.
Our mission is quite simply to maintain the high standards for
which Schuco is famous. At Lilliput Motor Company we dedicate
ourselves to continue the spirit of Heinrich Mller and to earn the
continued support and patronage of Schuco enthusiasts worldwide.
Our fervent hope is that this website, like our catalogue, will
kindle (or re-kindle) your passion for the toys built under the
Schuco name - and inspire (or re-inspire) your interest in owning
examples of these truly unique collectibles.
We like to think that Heinrich Mller is looking down from up there
somewhere - and he's smiling.